In the competitive world of the supplement industry, standing out and driving sales can be a challenging task. However, there is a powerful tool at your disposal that can transform your supplement marketing efforts – SEO copywriting and content marketing.
My name is Pat Dougherty, the Natural Health Writer. And I am ready to become your dedicated SEO Copywriter for Dietary Supplements.
With over 20 years of experience writing copy for leading dietary supplement brands, I can confidently say that SEO content marketing is the most effective way to boost sales of supplements and other natural health products.
I’ve had more experience and success as an SEO copywriter for supplements than any other natural health copywriting services I provide.
In this article, I’ll explain how great SEO blog articles and other content can draw free organic search traffic, exponentially boosting sales, and highlight the numerous benefits of content marketing for your nutritional supplement business.
I’ll conclude with an offer so you can hand off this key marketing component to a true industry expert — one of the only writers in the world who can write this content for effectiveness, credibility and compliance.
Ready to learn how SEO Copywriting can scale your dietary supplements or other natural health business? Let’s get to it!
The Power of SEO Copywriting:
1. Increased Visibility: Effective SEO copywriting ensures that your supplement-related content ranks high in search engine results pages (SERPs). When potential customers search for information or products related to supplements, they are more likely to discover your brand if your content is optimized for relevant keywords.
2. Credibility and Trust: Well-researched and informative content establishes your authority in the dietary supplements industry. By providing valuable information, you build trust with your audience, making them more likely to choose your products.
3. Targeted Traffic: SEO copywriting allows you to target specific keywords and phrases that potential customers use when searching for your supplement. This means your content reaches the right audience – people actively looking for the solutions your products provide.
Content Marketing Benefits for Supplement Marketing:
- Educate and Inform: Blog articles, guides, and infographics can educate your audience about the benefits of supplements, how they work, and which ones are suitable for their needs. Informed customers are more likely to make confident purchase decisions.
- Build a Health Community: Content marketing enables you to engage with your audience through comments, social media, and email. Building a community around your brand fosters loyalty and encourages repeat purchases.
- Boost Brand Awareness: Regularly publishing high-quality content helps keep my clients at the top-of-mind for potential customers. When they’re ready to make a purchase, they’re more likely to think of your supplement brand first.
- Leverage Social Sharing: Engaging content is more likely to be shared on social media, expanding your reach beyond your website. This can lead to numerous benefits including increased brand exposure and new customers.
- Convert like crazy: When I give the searcher the information they are looking for and present a supplement that meets their exact wish, my clients see their conversions skyrocket. It is beautiful to witness.
- Long-term Results: Unlike paid advertising, content marketing has long-lasting benefits. Well-optimized articles can continue to drive organic traffic and sales for months or even years.
My experience includes one campaign where I produced 80 articles within 3 months (with the assistance of a small team of writers) for a leading brain supplement brand.
90% of those articles were ranked in top 3 SERPs by campaign’s end.
You can read more about this in my other post about blog and article writing.
One of my favorite examples in this space is when I wrote an SEO-tuned article for a client’s Prebiotic supplement going after the keyword “best probiotic for constipation.”
Ultimately we ranked in the top 5 SERPs for 18 months. But the best part is that the article was converting.
Consumers clicked to learn about probiotics for constipation, but instead purchased my client’s prebiotic supplements for the same purpose.
Therein lies the power of content marketing for the supplement industry. It’s all about my clients actively offering customer education, which may be the single greatest driving force for dietary supplements marketing, maximum sales and repeat business.
My Approach to SEO Content Writing
Dietary supplements aren’t all the same, so I don’t treat all SEO blog articles the same. It is always a combination of steps, with varying weights placed upon each one as I progress in my research. Some of the steps:
- Keyword research in Semrush
- Analyze competitors with strong presence in search results
- Write natural health articles with some AI assistance
- Tune and format article in Surfer SEO
- Research for helpful and credible external linking
- Strategically link to internal pages and credible external sites
- Generate original images using DALL-E
- Insert headings that include crucial keywords
- Format text that benefits easy reading, so it “pops”
- Write Alt tags for photos, and sometimes captions
- Write SEO-tuned Meta Description and Title for blog article
Key differentiator: Unlike a standard generalist SEO copywriter, I am a Dietary Supplement SEO Copywriter Specialist.
Because I am a 20+ year nutritional supplement industry veteran, my SEO articles give The Google exactly what it is looking for: Clean, credible, easy-to-understand and helpful content for the reader.
My articles are FDA friendly, avoiding risky words and phrases that violate regulations. Learn more about FDA compliance by reading my article about Supplement Copywriting Guidelines.
You can also check out this article on how the FDA regulates dietary supplements to get a better idea of why SEO writing for natural health products needs to be clean and compliant, too.
This potentially gives nutritional supplements manufacturers a big advantage, considering the rumors that there may be FDA spiders crawling the web looking for forbidden words in product copy.
My approach as an SEO copywriter for supplements is excellent for long-range presence in your rankings.
It may also provide some level of “futureproofing” your content against future algorithm shifts that punish irresponsible supplement claims and sketchy dietary supplements product marketing. (I predict this update will happen in the next 5 years).
Hire a professional SEO copywriter with nutritional supplement expertise for your blog article writing, and Google will reward you with abundant organic traffic that is eager to purchase your products.
It’s an investment for long-term success, and might just be the greatest supplement marketing strategy I have seen in my career.
Supplement SEO Copywriting for Google’s “Helpful Content” Update
Helpful content, in the context of the latest Google algorithm update, aligns with Google’s ever-evolving criteria for high-quality web pages. Google’s algorithms continue to prioritize user experience and relevance.
The latest “Helpful Content” update is fresh and I am still working out the details. But I can offer general guidelines on what helpful content about nutritional supplements should encompass in light of these priorities.
1. Relevance and Intent Match: Content must align with the user’s search intent. Google aims to provide searchers with results that best answer their queries. Helpful content should precisely address the topic or question users have in mind.
2. Comprehensive and Authoritative: Google tends to favor content that demonstrates experience, expertise, authority, and trustworthiness (E-E-A-T). To be seen as helpful, I write copy that is well-researched, accurate, and backed by credible sources. You can imagine how crucial this can be in the realm of dietary supplement content writing. This is one reason why I like to heavily reference my blog articles and keep supplement health claims conservative.
3. User-Focused: User experience remains paramount. Content should be easy to read, well-structured with headings and subheadings, and free of distracting elements (e.g., excessive ads). Mobile-friendliness and fast page loading times are also crucial for a positive user experience. I also address this by answering the reader’s supplement or health query immediately. No beating around the bush or long-winded exposition. A quick, direct summary that gives them their answer at the beginning, followed by a long-form, in-depth explanation.
4. Valuable and Actionable: Helpful content provides practical solutions, answers, or insights. It goes beyond surface-level information to offer real value. Including actionable tips or steps can make the content even more useful to readers.
For example, if I am doing SEO copywriting about weight loss supplements, I will emphasize that topic first and foremost. But I want to be helpful beyond those answers, and give extra value for the reader seeking weight loss assistance. So I will include some helpful general tips on how to lose weight.
If supplement brands are sports nutrition oriented, I want to promote their supplements but also share extra tips for how to boost athletic performance with nutrition and exercise. And so on.
5. Engaging and Well-Formatted: Content should engage readers with a compelling introduction and maintain their interest throughout. The use of multimedia elements like images, videos, and infographics can enhance the content’s appeal and clarity.
6. Updated and Relevant: Timeliness is essential in the nutrition industry. Keeping content up to date and relevant to current trends, scientific research and other developments in the natural health field shows that supplement companies are committed to providing valuable information.
7. Originality and Uniqueness: Duplicate or heavily plagiarized content is not considered helpful. Having had my natural health copywriting plagiarized numerous times, I can say from personal experience that it is a terrible practice! Boooo! Google prefers original, unique content that offers a fresh perspective or insights on nutritional supplements that are not readily available elsewhere.
8. Clear Attribution and Citations: When using information or data from external sources, it’s important to provide proper attribution and citations. This reinforces the credibility of your content and the dietary supplement it is supporting. Citing scientific research is an important step for credibility too, with an external link so the reader can visit the source of your information and continue their education.
9. Solves User Problems: Content that directly addresses and solves user problems or pain points tends to rank well. Understanding your audience’s overall health needs and crafting content that offers practical dietary supplement (and healthy lifestyle!) solutions can be a key benefit you offer to your customers.
10. User Feedback and Engagement: Positive user signals, such as low bounce rates, longer time spent on page, and social media shares, can indicate that your supplement content is helpful and engaging. Encourage user interaction and feedback to improve your content’s quality.
As the top SEO copywriter for dietary supplements, I stay updated on the latest Google algorithm changes and adapt your content strategy accordingly. Google often releases guidelines and updates that offer insights into what they consider helpful and high-quality content.
If desired, as part of my services I will regularly review and optimize your content based on user feedback and performance metrics can help ensure that it continues to rank well in search results.
What the Best SEO Copywriter for Dietary Supplements Provides
So after all of this effort, what do you get? My excellent SEO-tuned blog posts strike a balance between being well-optimized for search engines and providing a valuable, enjoyable website content reading experience for human visitors.
Here’s a breakdown of the criteria I meet with each and every nutritional supplement blog post that I write. All of these content creation elements add up to the great user experience that lead to top rankings and high conversions, as well as helping consumers support their health:
The foundation of an excellent SEO-tuned blog post is high-quality content. It should be well-researched, informative, and relevant to the target audience. My clients get content that provides value, whether it’s through solving a problem, offering insights, or answering questions. In the context of a dietary supplement, this step requires extra care.
While keyword stuffing is a thing of the past, strategic keyword usage is still essential. A well-optimized blog post focuses on a primary keyword or key phrase and includes it naturally in the title, introduction, subheadings, and throughout the content. Latent semantic indexing (LSI) keywords, related terms, and synonyms should also be used where appropriate to enhance context and depth. In my posts, this step includes health-related keyword mentions that are conservative and careful.
The blog post should be well-structured and easy to navigate. It includes clear and concise headings and subheadings that not only break up the content but also provide a glimpse into the post’s organization. Bullet points and numbered lists can help present information in a reader-friendly way.
The introduction should grab the reader’s attention and provide a brief overview of what to expect in the blog post. It should be compelling, concise, and relevant to the topic. It should also provide the answers to the reader’s specific needs right away, with the option to read all of the details if the reader desires.
Valuable Content Flow
The body of the blog post should flow logically, presenting information in a clear, organized manner. It should delve into the topic with depth and detail, offering insights and solutions.
Use of Multimedia
Visual elements such as images, infographics, and videos can enhance the content’s appeal and engagement. Alt text should be used for images to improve accessibility and SEO. I can help with this by providing cool AI-Generated images via Dall-E. I also like to use Wikimedia Commons for free-to-use images.
Internal and External Links
Internal links should connect to other relevant pages on your website, helping users navigate and improving your site’s structure. External links to reputable sources or additional information can boost your content’s credibility.
The ideal length of a blog post can vary depending on the topic, but it should provide comprehensive coverage of the subject. In general, longer, more in-depth posts (around 1,500-2,000 words or more, sometimes in the range of 5,000-6,000 words for supplements specifically) tend to perform well in search engine rankings.
Engagement and Interactivity
Encourage reader engagement by including calls to action (CTAs), such as asking for comments, sharing on social media (social proof is increasingly important), or subscribing to your health newsletter. Engage with your audience in the comments section to foster a sense of community.
Proofreading and Editing
Ensure that the content is free of grammatical errors and typos. A well-edited blog post demonstrates professionalism and enhances readability. Dietary supplements have no room for sloppy errors, as such mistakes can reflect poorly on the entire brand.
The blog post should be optimized for mobile devices, as an increasing number of users access content on smartphones and tablets.
Behind-the-scenes SEO elements like meta titles, meta descriptions, and image alt text should be well-crafted and include relevant keywords.
Over time, revisit and update older blog posts to ensure that they remain accurate and relevant. Search engines often favor fresh content.
In summary, my most excellent SEO-tuned blog posts for dietary supplements are well-crafted pieces of content that provide value to readers, follow SEO best practices, and engage the audience. It should read naturally, offering a seamless and enjoyable experience while also ranking well in search engine results for relevant keywords.
Collaborating with Off-Page SEO
Of course, I cannot claim all the credit for success in SEO copywriting projects.
Collaboration between an SEO copywriter creating on-page SEO content and off-page SEO strategies is essential to achieve the greatest results for a client’s online presence.
These two aspects of SEO work hand in hand to improve a website’s search engine rankings and overall visibility. I am happy to work with off-page SEO experts who are assisting my clients to deliver the best possible results. Here’s how this collaboration can yield powerful outcomes:
Keyword Research and Integration
On-Page SEO: SEO copywriter for dietary supplements conducts in-depth keyword research to identify relevant and high-converting keywords for the client’s web content. These keywords are strategically integrated into the on-page content, including the title, headings, and body.
Off-Page SEO: Off-page strategic planning, such as link building and social media marketing, often require keyword alignment to ensure consistency and relevance in anchor text and link placement. Collaborating on keyword usage ensures a unified SEO strategy.
Content Quality and Relevance
On-Page SEO: The supplement copywriter creates high-quality, relevant, and engaging content that satisfies the needs of the target audience. Writing copy that is high-quality not only appeals to readers but also aligns with search engine ranking criteria.
Off-Page SEO: Off-page strategies benefit from linkable and shareable on-page content. Engaging, informative, and well-structured content is more likely to attract backlinks and social media shares, bolstering off-page SEO efforts.
Link Building Opportunities
On-Page SEO: The SEO copywriter for supplements can identify and create link-worthy content within the website, such as comprehensive guides, infographics, or case studies. These assets serve as valuable resources that can be promoted through off-page link building campaigns.
Off-Page SEO: The off-page SEO team actively seeks link building opportunities by promoting on-page content to relevant websites and influencers. Having high-quality on-page content makes it more enticing for external websites to link back to.
Content Promotion and Outreach
On-Page SEO: As a freelance dietary supplement and natural health copywriter, I can collaborate with your off-page team to develop content promotion strategies. This might involve creating social media-friendly snippets or coordinating outreach efforts to relevant influencers or bloggers.
Off-Page SEO: Off-page strategies often involve outreach to industry influencers and webmasters for guest posting opportunities and link placements. Having valuable on-page content to share with these external parties can increase the chances of successful outreach.
Monitoring and Analytics
On-Page SEO: I am happy to work closely with your off-page team to monitor the performance of on-page content using analytics tools. This data can help refine both on-page and off-page strategies based on what is resonating with the audience.
Off-Page SEO: Off-page efforts can also benefit from on-page data. Understanding which on-page content is driving the most traffic and engagement can inform off-page promotion tactics.
On-Page SEO: Collaboration allows for ongoing optimization of on-page content. I am a hands on nutritional supplement copywriter: I would prefer to personally update and expand your website content to keep it fresh and relevant, which can positively impact off-page efforts.
Off-Page SEO: Feedback from off-page strategies, such as the types of content that attract backlinks, can inform the creation of new on-page content that aligns with these link-building opportunities.
In summary, the collaboration between on-page and off-page SEO is symbiotic. On-page SEO content provides the foundation for off-page strategies to build upon, while off-page efforts enhance the visibility and authority of the on-page content.
This synergy creates a comprehensive SEO strategy that yields the greatest results for my clients by improving search engine rankings, driving organic traffic, and boosting online authority.
In today’s digital age, SEO copywriting and content marketing are essential for supplement businesses looking to thrive in the wellness industry.
With over two decades of experience in natural health copywriting, with an emphasis on copywriting for industry-leading supplement companies, I have the expertise to create content that not only informs and engages but also drives sales.
By investing in SEO-focused content marketing, especially from a dedicated SEO copywriter for dietary supplements, you’ll see a significant boost in organic search traffic and sales for your supplements and natural health products.
I am the best SEO copywriter for dietary supplements, and I stand ready to assist you with all of your content marketing initiatives.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to supercharge your dietary supplement marketing efforts.
Contact me today to discuss how I can help you achieve your sales goals through effective SEO copywriting and content marketing strategies.
Together, we can take your supplement business or natural health practice to new heights, reaching and converting the right audience with compelling and informative content.